Aigues-Mortes towers and ramparts

Climb up Saint Louis’ keep and take a stroll around the Medieval fortifications.

The monument is open

History of the monument

Royal features. Not only are the defensive systems excellent, but real attention was paid to comfort and decoration.
Port and then prison of the kingdom. A canal links the town to the Mediterranean. Indeed, Saint Louis was the first French king to have a port on the south coast. It was from here that he left for his crusades in 1248 and 1270. Aigues-Mortes gradually silted up and the towers were turned into prisons. It was used to hold Protestant prisoners after the revocation of the Edict of Nantes in 1685.
Revival. When a vineyard protected from phylloxera was planted and sea bathing became fashionable, the town experienced a revival from 1875.


To ensure the safety of our visitors, the monument is strictly applying the security measures decided by the french authorities.
The monument is fully opened.

View more

Social network

View full feed

Learn more

Direct access


MenuFermer le menu